Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Pragmatic.
The pragmatic perspective is incredibly interesting to me, in the sense that I've always criticized my friends for playing the "game" of communication. In a sense, the patterned interaction of communication is reflected in those instances when we encounter someone we know (but don't want to talk to) on the street. According to the rules, you both say "hi" and "how are you?", to which both would then reply "I'm doing good, man." "We should really get together sometime!" "Totally! Hit me up on Facebook!" "Sounds good!" None of these individuals really have any intention of getting together again, but simply followed the rules of courtesy. Another example can be noted in the comedic rule of offering something. In these situations, someone offers something, and the other person declines. The offer is then presented again, and is responded to with a "nah man, I couldn't do that." "No, I insist!" "A-a-are you sure? Well, ok..." It's a game, or rather a dance with specific rules and steps to follow, in order to be successful. Communication is a game in the context of "pleasantries". Once things move on to self-disclosure, or more complicated forms of communicating a message, I believe things become more legitimate and honest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment