Thursday, August 2, 2012

Different Names For The Same Thing: Chapter 2

In studying Chapter 2, I think of everything I read the biggest thing that stood out to me was in reference to models, and how they are used and understood in communicative research. More specifically, I was mainly drawn to the idea that many different models can be used to explain one facet or process of communication. I think models are incredibly effective for explaining certain phenoms within communication, though I do enjoy noting the exception to these rules and models. In these types of situations, perhaps multiple models and principles can be used to "triangulate" and find possible explanations. Personally, however, I love the unpredictable element of chaos within so much structure.

In a sense, I think the idea of models being seen as "theories" allows for principles to help dictate research and studies, but also allows for them to be recognized as such -not true laws of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment