Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Interesting Concept.

This full-speed ahead approach to these Summer courses can certainly make it difficult to stay on top of things, but I truly feel I've grown in this course. Personally, one of the concepts that affected me the most was the social constructionist perspective. More specifically, I found this concept to be incredibly interesting in the context of Americans and the nationalist mentality. Especially as the Olympics sweep through network Television, we can easily notice the "America is the best" sentiment. Naturally, we cheer for our nation, but rarely do we wonder how other nations must view us. The social constructionist perspective states that our world-views, norms, perspectives, etc. are a product our social environment. As our environment chants America is the best, we begin to believe it. In some strange sense, "social construction" is a form of communal brainwashing, and I find it fascinating. It is due to applications like this that I've found the social constructionist perspective to be the most interesting concept I've analyzed this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment